[Michlib-l] NEWS RELEASE: Historical Society of Michigan Co-Sponsors National Underground Railroad Conference, July 16-20

HSM Web hsmweb at hsmichigan.org
Mon Jun 30 15:55:07 EDT 2014

For Immediate Release: June 30, 2014

National Underground Railroad Conference

Comes to Detroit

The annual National Underground Railroad Conference will take place in
Detroit from July 16 to July 20, 2014, bringing together scholars,
archivists, community researchers and enthusiasts from across the nation.
The Historical Society of Michigan is a co-sponsor of this event, which will
take place at the Doubletree-Downtown in Detroit.

The theme of this year's conference is "I Resolved Never to Be Conquered":
Women and the Underground Railroad and will reveal the larger story of
women's participation in the movement as freedom seekers and as operatives.

This five-day conference will include pre-conference events, renowned
keynote speakers, panel discussions, an exhibit hall, and tours of local
museums and historic sites. There will also be an affiliated tour to Canada
on Sunday, July 20.

Registration for the conference is available through the Association for the
Study of African American Life and History (ASALH) at
<http://www.asalh.org/ugrr.html> http://www.asalh.org/ugrr.html.
Sponsorship, Advertising and Exhibit/Vending opportunities are also
available.

  _____

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

Along with the Historical Society of Michigan, sponsors of the conference
are the National Park Service, National Underground Railroad Network to
Freedom Program (NTF) in collaboration with Michigan Freedom Trail (MFT),
the Association for the Study of African American Life and History (ASALH)
and the Organization of American Historians (OAH).

The NTF, established by legislation passed in 1998, promotes the
preservation and interpretation of resources associated with the Underground
Railroad.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line.