[Michlib-l] 2014 Michigan in Perspective: The Local History Conference - March 28-29

Nancy Feldbush feldbush at hsmichigan.org
Thu Jan 16 17:17:54 EST 2014

pagebanner.JPG

2014 Michigan in Perspective: The Local History Conference - March 28-29

The 56th annual Michigan in Perspective: The Local History Conference will
be held March 28-29, 2014, in Macomb County at the Best Western Sterling Inn
Banquet & Conference Center in Sterling Heights. The conference is one of
the Historical Society of Michigan's four major history conferences. Lead
sponsors of the event include Meijer and the Detroit Historical Society.

Organized by the Michigan in Perspective Planning Committee, the conference
will feature several keynote speakers and breakout sessions focused on local
history in Michigan. Sheila Cockrel from Crossroads Consulting and a former
Detroit City Council member will present the opening keynote Detroit
Bankruptcy: A City in Transition. Other keynotes include Revisiting "Rosie
the Riveter": The New Workers in the Arsenal of Democracy with Charles K.
Hyde of Wayne State University; Henry Ford's $5 Day: Too Good to Be True?
with John Staudenmaier of the University of Detroit Mercy; and Detroit
People Mover with Bill Sproule of Michigan Technological University.

To see the full conference flyer or to register online, visit
http://www.hsmichigan.org/conferences/local-history-conference.

Breakout sessions will cover topics such as local history, communication and
arts, and cultural diversity. They include:

*	Detroit Sound Conservancy Oral History
*	Maritime Trilogy: Submerged History & Heritage in Southeast Michigan
*	Michigan's First Prison: The Jackson Prison
*	History of and in Detroit's Pubs and Bars
*	Defending Freedom: Detroit's Military Airports
*	Digital Challenges for the Analog-Minded: Reference, Research, and
Accessibility Strategies for Digital Archives
*	Origin of U.S. Immigration Controls on the U.S.-Canada Border
*	Great Female Artists of Detroit
*	Hank Greenberg: Love and Hate in Detroit
*	Grant Writing for Local Historical Organizations
*	Preserving Our Past: Historic Preservation in Detroit
*	New Books in Michigan History: Old Slow Town: Detroit During the
Civil War; Beyond Pontiac's Shadow; Michigan: A History of Explorers,
Entrepreneurs, and Everyday People
*	The Detroit Elders Project
*	Civic Detroit: Centennials of Kiwanis International and Junior
League of Detroit
*	Traveling Through Time: Michigan Historical Markers
*	Ethnic Detroit: Arab and Asian Communities
*	Researching and Writing a Historical Novel
*	Demographics of Detroit: Where Have We Been? Where Are We Going?
*	Marketing Tips for Small Museums
*	The Underground Railroad: Dispelling Myths and Telling Our Stories
in the Detroit River Region
*	Respecting Those Who Came Before Us: Why Is Repatriation So
Important to Tribal Communities
*	Metro Detroit's History of African Americans in Communication &
Media Arts
*	Women at Work in the Nineteenth Century

Open to anyone interested in state or regional history, registration for the
two-day event is only $45 ($55 after March 18). Meals that feature keynote
speakers, including lunch on both days and breakfast on Saturday, are
available by reservation on a space-available basis. The luncheons are $23
per ticket, and the Saturday breakfast is $17 per ticket. Register online
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/conferences/local-history-conference/>  or by
calling (800) 692-1828.

The first day of the conference will close with a Friday evening reception
at the Sterling Inn. The reception is free for all registered conference
attendees, but tickets are required and can be secured during the conference
registration process.

In addition to our lead sponsors, the conference's other featured sponsors
include the Detroit Public Library, Michigan State University Press,
University of Michigan Press, Walter P. Reuther Library, and Wayne State
University Press.

The Local History Conference is also supported by Algonquin Club of Detroit
& Windsor, Bentley Historical Library, Detroit Society for Genealogical
Research, Inc. , Fred Hart Williams Genealogical Society, Historical Society
of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, Jewish
Historical Society of Michigan, Michigan Genealogical Council, Michigan
Women's Historical Center & Hall of Fame, Oakland County Historical
Commission, Troy Historical Society, and William L. Clements Library.

Members and friends of the Society will receive a printed copy of the
conference flyer on or around February 1, 2014. The flyer can be downloaded
from our website or by clicking here.
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/LHC-2014-brochure.pdf>

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr.

Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828

FAX: (517) 324-4370

Email:  <mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org

Website:  <http://www.hsmichigan.org> www.hsmichigan.org

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this email with "remove" in the
subject line or body of the email. For more information on the Historical
Society of Michigan, please visit  <http://www.hsmichigan.org>
www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at  <mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org>
hsm at hsmichigan.org.