[Michlib-l] New State Librarian

Robertson, Nancy (MDE) RobertsonN at michigan.gov
Wed Apr 16 10:12:05 EDT 2014

Dear Michigan library colleagues and friends,
I am pleased to share with you the message below from Deputy Superintendent Carol Wolenberg who led the interview process for the next state librarian. I am excited to share the news that LM's Randy Riley (whom you all know from MeL coordination, Michigan Notable Books, Michigan Center for the Book, and much more) has been selected to be your next state librarian.  I know you will welcome him and make him feel comfortable in his new position as you did for me years ago. Congratulations, Randy!
My best to all,
Nancy

Forwarded message from Carol:

It is my pleasure to let you know that after advice from the interview team and his Superintendent's Group, Mike has selected Randy Riley to succeed Nancy as the next State Librarian of Michigan.   Randy has accepted the position and will officially begin his new role on April 28, 2014.  Nancy and Randy will be starting a transition process soon to take every advantage of Nancy's short time remaining with us before she retires.

We would like to especially thank Kathy Irwin and Carolyn Sparks, LM and LM Foundation Board representatives, for taking so much time from their very busy schedules to participate as part of the interview team which included first interviews for 8 candidates as well as second interviews for 3 finalists.  Other members of the team included Maureen Hirten, CADL executive director, and Karren Reish and Kevin Driedger from the Library of Michigan staff.  It was a pleasure to facilitate the work of this team; they were totally committed to the process and did an outstanding job.

While we will certainly miss Nancy and wish her well in retirement, we are looking forward to working with Randy in this new capacity and moving the Library into the future.

Take care,
Carol

Carol Wolenberg
Deputy Superintendent
Michigan Department of Education
wolenbergc at michigan.gov<mailto:wolenbergc at michigan.gov>
517-241-0062

Each April, Michigan celebrates the Month of the Young Child, sponsored by the Michigan Association for the Education of Young Children.