[Michlib-l] Volunteer Judges Still Needed for Michigan History Day State Finals!

Larry J. Wagenaar wagenaar at hsmichigan.org
Tue Apr 1 15:39:22 EDT 2014

My apologies if this is a duplicate email – am also sending to my personal contacts.  Larry

HSM-news-release.jpg

April 1, 2014

at-a-glance-column2.jpg

Future History Skills Workshops

Friday, May 2

Fading Photos: How to Identify, Scan, Restore, and Archive Historical Photographs

Friday, June 27

Managing Historic House Museums

Friday, July 18

Launching a New Historical Organization.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/programs/workshops/> Visit our website for full descriptions of each workshop.

Michigan History Day

Judges Still Needed!

We could use your help! On Saturday, April 26, the Historical Society of Michigan will host over 400 students grades 4-12 who will compete in the state finals of National History Day. This exciting event takes place at Saline Middle School.

We still need about 20 judges to help review the student entries!  Volunteer judges serve from 8:00 a.m. until approximately 1:30 p.m.

If you are willing, please sign up to judge before April 10 using the online registration page at http://www.hsmichigan.org/mhd/judges/

You do not need to have previous experience with Michigan

History Day.  As a judge, you’ll review entries in a given category as part of a judging team, conduct a brief interview with the students, write comments for the students to review, and then select two finalists. Judging for performances and exhibits will be done on the day of the competition. Papers, websites, and documentaries will be reviewed in advance. Interviews with students for all five categories will take place on the day of the event.

If you plan to judge and register online, we will confirm your commitment via e-mail shortly after you register. The second week of April, you will receive detailed event information including your specific assignment.

More information about National History Day can be found at www.nhd.org. Information on Michigan History Day is available on our website at http://www.hsmichigan.org/mhd. We hope you can join us this year. Thank you for your support of Michigan History Day!

  _____

history-at-your-fingertips2.jpg

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state’s oldest cultural organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming, and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote Michigan’s rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit  <http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at  <mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. • Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 • FAX: (517) 324-4370

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state’s history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with “remove” in the subject line.