[Michlib-l] Children's Cards - Who and How Old?

Stanczak, Cindy cstanczak at albionlibrary.org
Wed Sep 11 12:41:16 EDT 2013

Hello all!

You've been an *amazing* help on my most recent questions and we've had
another one come up that'd like to some feedback on.

We currently allow parent or guardian to sign up a child (under age 18) for
a library card, and, in doing so, accepting legal responsibility for any
fines, fees, and damages accrued on the child's card.  But we've had issues
with grandmothers signing up children and parents objecting.  What about
grown siblings?  We've also had incidents of non-custodial or just not
parent saying that they're parent and signing the child up.

In essence, my question is:  Who do you allow to sign up a child (under 18)
for a Library card (parent, legal guardian, grandparent, auntie/uncle,
custodial step-parent, foster parent, non-custodial parent, grown siblings)
and what do you ask for in terms of proof?

Thank you!!!

Cynthia Stanczak
Adult & Teen Services Librarian
Albion District Library