[Michlib-l] Outreach and Programming for Dementia Sufferers

Brenda Dunseth bdunseth at highland.lib.mi.us
Tue Sep 10 10:19:32 EDT 2013

There was a great article in the September/October Horn Book Magazine titled "Reading with my Mother" by Elizabeth Poe.  Elizabeth writes about reading picture books with her mother after her mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.  She describes how the books they read changed as her mother's world narrowed, the types of things that seemed to engage her mother and the special moments they were able to share because of these simple books.

I know this speaks to one-on-one sharing but it might still be useful to you as you plan your program.

Brenda Dunseth
Youth Services Department Head
Highland Township Public Library