[Michlib-l] Question for City Library Directors

Frederick J. Kirby libraryfjk at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 24 12:52:51 EDT 2013

Stephanie,  At Benton Harbor, my library board has control over its own money. We have a voted millage for library services which the City collects and distributes to us. The Board passes our budget without the City's approval. The board approves all of the library's policies. I report to the Board, not the City. There have been city managers here that I never met because I have so little need to interact with them.

The City Commission does appoint our five city board members. (The township that we also serve appoints two additional board members.) When our millage is up for renewal, the City Commission must place it on the ballot, since our board is not a taxing authority.

Otherwise, we run our own ship over here. Please feel free to call me if you would like further clarification.

Frederick J. Kirby, Library Director
Benton Harbor Public Library
213 East Wall St.
Benton Harbor, MI 49022