[Michlib-l] Library code of conduct- digest of responses

Kennedy,Bethany bakennedy at wccnet.edu
Tue Oct 22 16:54:46 EDT 2013

Sincerest thanks to all the libraries who shared their best practices and advice. Below please find a condensed digest of responses regarding the placement, implementation, communication and enforcement of codes of conduct in libraries. The responses received were from public and academic libraries.

Library Code of Conduct placement:

-        On library website

-        In lobby or near entrance

-        Display case with other library information

-        Several points around library

-        Sections of code broken out on smaller signs (no cell phones, no food/drink, etc...)

-        Available for check out

-        Poster size

-        8.5x11

Code enforcement:
There were several models for code enforcement. The "three strikes" rule seemed to be a common theme.

Step 1: Provide copy of code to patron
Step 2: If behavior continues, ask the patron to leave.
Step 3: If still non-compliant, inform patron that their library privileges will be revoked for set period of time
Step 4: Call security/police if all other steps do not remediate issue.

Three strikes rule- for smaller issues two warnings given and then asked to leave. For severe issues, such as safety issues, patrons asked to leave immediately.

Case by case review of violation.

Violation forms 1st, 2nd and 3rd with instructions on how to appeal.

Code enforcement follow up:

-        Short, specific notes placed in patron record

Challenges:
-Hygiene issues or other issues that need to be reviewed on case by case basis

Advice:
"Enforcement is always a challenge. It requires constant work. My recommendation would be to keep at it, and expect if you are trying to change a particular behavior, it will take many months, even years depending on the issue in question."
"Cameras are particularly helpful in many cases. Do not underestimate the problems they can solve. If you get them, make sure patrons know to what degree they are being monitored or recorded. For instance our signs say- 'Some areas of the library may under recorded video surveillance.' "

Thank you again. I hope that this information will be of use to the group.

Bethany Kennedy, MLIS
Director, Access Services
Washtenaw Community College
Bailey Library, GM 111