[Michlib-l] Used books again

Linda K. Neely lkneely10 at frontier.com
Mon Oct 21 21:11:31 EDT 2013

First, I want to thank Christine Hage, Stephanie Mason and Bruce MacDonald for almost instantly replying to my last email that we should not set a value on donated books, but rather provide the donor with a letter stating the numbers of hardbacks, paperbacks, etc. and letting them decide at tax time the value of their donation.  This is what we will do.   Thanks!

Now I am wondering what to do when we are cataloging these items.   Should we assign a value that people would have to pay if they lost or damaged the book or should we not charge patrons if the book was donated??  Should we just charge them processing costs??

Guess you can tell that in my 33 years working in a library I never did cataloging....

Linda Neely
Bath MI