[Michlib-l] technology devices

Deborah Shepherd dshepherd at southfieldlibrary.org
Thu Oct 3 08:43:45 EDT 2013

We allow USB devices as long as the device does not attempt to load any kind of executable (software program).  The computer settings do no allow the .exe files so no staff intervention is required, except to explain why.

Deborah Shepherd
Assistant Technology Coordinator
Southfield Public Library
248 796-4351
dshepherd at sfldlib.org

>>> Sheila Bissonnette <SBissonnette at cityofclare.org> Wednesday, October 02, 2013 4:49 PM >>>

Good afternoon all,

I’m curious to learn what other libraries are doing regarding assisting patrons with the millions of different technology devices.  I’m sure we are not the only library to have people coming in with MP3 players, ipods, cellular phones, trail cameras, Garmin’s, tom-toms……… (the list could go on and on and on)  all looking for help in downloading or updating software on these devices.

We find the majority of our community who have these “devices” do not have computers at home.  Which also means they are not active with email (which also is a problem with a number of devices who want to connect to their users) If they have an email they can’t remember the login information to access it.

We have 14 public access workstations that we make available to our community. Our public workstations are locked down pretty tight.  Some people consider them “personal computers” available to the public but they really are not personal computers.   They are workstations designed for public use.

I would really be interested to learn what other libraries are doing to deal with this challenge.  Do any libraries have a policy on what devices can be used on their public workstations?   If you allow devices to be connected to a workstations, what are they?

Your input would be appreciated!!

Thanks
Sheila

Sheila M. Bissonnette, MLIS
Library Director
Pere Marquette District Library & Harrison District Library

Pere Marquette District Library                                                          Harrison District Library
185 E. 4th Street                                                                                          105 E. Main Street
Clare, MI 48617                                                                                          P.O. Box 380
www.pmdl.org                                                                                          Harrison, MI 48625
                                                                                                                         www.harrisondistrictlibrary.org
Phone:  (989) 386-7576 ext 4                                                                Phone: (989) 539-6711
Fax:        (989) 386-3576                                                                           Fax:        (989) 539-6301
Cell:       (989) 878-0450