[Michlib-l] pajamas in the library

Diana Hiles diana.hiles at mcc.edu
Wed Nov 20 14:16:09 EST 2013

Check out this new title:

Dressing Constitutionally: Hierarchy, Sexuality, and Democracy from Our
Hairstyles to Our Shoes  by  Ruthann
Robso<http://www.amazon.com/Dressing-Constitutionally-Hierarchy-Sexuality-Hairstyles/dp/0521140048/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384974630&sr=8-1&keywords=dressing+constitutionally>

Heard a great interview on the Diane Rehm show.
Ruthann Robson: "Dressing Constitutionally"
http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2013-08-20/ruthann-robson-dressing-constitutionally

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 11:06 a.m.
Diana Hiles
Mott Library

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Kimberly Schaaf <
kschaaf at springfield.lib.mi.us> wrote:

> While I agree that being subjected to a grown woman's fuzzy Tinkerbell pj
> pants is extremely annoying, unless your local authorities have some kind
> of official ban on this kind of thing that would back up a policy, I doubt
> you can do much about it.  If the pjs hit on one of the limitations to the
> First Amendment (obscenity, for example) or violates a law (nudity, for
> example) then that would back you up.
>
> Once you make a policy determining what people can or can't wear, it's a
> slippery slope of subjective interpretation that could crack open a whole
> slew of complaints from staff and patrons.  Who determines exactly what
> constitutes pajamas?  What about sweatpants?  What about workout clothes?
>  Banning leggings worn as pants would be perfectly fine with me, for
> example, but the difference between yoga pants and leggings can be very
> subtle.  Also, who can wear the pjs and who can't?  We give babies a free
> pass, but what about children?  What about a very mature 10 year old girl?
>  What about elderly women wearing a flimsy moo-moo in the summer?  Or men
> wearing extremely tight bike shorts?  Underwear and bras hang out everyday,
> and underwear is worse than pajamas, right?  While it is unfortunate that
> we must endure the sight of all this and more; I don't know if there's a
> clear cut policy solution to the social annoyance of fashion faux pas.
>
> Kimberly Schaaf
> Reference and Adult Services Librarian
> Springfield Twp. Library
> 12000 Davisburg Rd.
> Davisburg MI, 48350
> 248-846-6550

 Looking for a good novel to read?  Check out *The Language of Flowers* by
Vanessa Diffenbaugh.
       Too often we hear about our students who have "aged out" of the
foster care system.  This author's first novel draws on her experiences as
a foster parent and brings to life a beautifully moving story about
Victoria who has learned to trust no one.  This novel is so good, I had to
read it twice in one year.  Hear more about this novel at:
http://www.npr.org/2011/08/27/139985995/speaking-of-foster-care-in-the-language-of-flowers