[Michlib-l] Obamacare and Small Libraries

Ann Perrigo aperrigo at alleganlibrary.org
Wed Jul 31 09:38:46 EDT 2013

The gentleman who has been overseeing our insurance gave me some very clear
information about the Affordable Care Act--except for this one question!
 He told me he would let me know when a clear guideline was established
(about the 30 hour a week issue) and I haven't heard from him yet.  Maybe
I'll shoot him another message today!!

Ann @ Allegan

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Andrea Estelle
<aestelle at otsegolibrary.org>wrote:

> Hi Again Everyone -
> I agree with Donna completely. I would just like to be able to plan ahead
> and would love it if the MLA or ALA could help small and medium libraries
> understand what it means for our staffing.
>
> Just from yesterday's replies I got a wide range of conflicting
>
> I have been told:
> It doesn't apply to groups of less than 50
> It does apply to groups of less than 50 if you are offering some staff
> insurance then you need to offer it to all staff working more than 30 hours
> or you will be fined $3000-$5000 for every person on staff
> Part-time Hours don't need to be cut at all
> Part-time Hours need to be cut now
> Part-time Hours don't need to be cut until January 2014
>
> The attorneys we have asked tell us to call the insurance companies. Our
> insurance company said that nobody is an expert on this topic and it is
> very unclear as to how this will work out for employers and give other such
> vague responses. So when Donna says this topic is time-consuming and
> frustrating I agree completely. That is why I posted hoping someone out
> there had a clear answer with a valid source.
> Thanks,
> Andrea
>
> Andrea Estelle
> Library Director
> "Brighten The Corner Where You Are"
>

>         401 Dix Street, Otsego, MI 49078
>                     (269) 694-9690
>            http://www.otsegolibrary.org/

Ann Perrigo, Director
Allegan District Library
331 Hubbard Street
Allegan, MI 49010                               269 673-4625

aperrigo at alleganlibrary.org

<aperrigo at alleganlibrary.org>

Good times or bad--your library is here for you!