[Michlib-l] need computer competency testing for library staff

Yvonne Brown ybrown at lib.lapeer.org
Wed Jul 24 12:22:12 EDT 2013

Hello, everyone.

We are looking for a way to test the computer competencies of current staff
and new employee candidates.  We have the tools to create online
multiple-choice quizzes, but this would not give us a true assessment that
a hands-on evaluation tool would give us.  However, we have not been able
to find such a tool.

I have found some nice resources through EveryoneOn.org for self-evaluation
and learning paths, but I'm not finding an evaluation tool that library
administration can use to gauge a staff person's computer skills.
Basically, we are looking for a computer skills competency test.

Does anyone have any resources to help us with this?  Or do you have any
resource recommendations?

In an effort to provide consistent, quality service to our library patrons,
we want to make sure our staff meets core computer competency standards,
such as email basics, internet browsing, file management, word processing,
etc.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and any help you could offer us
would be greatly appreciated.

-- *

Yvonne Brown
Assistant Director for Technical Services
Lapeer District Library**
www.library.lapeer.org
*