[Michlib-l] Board/Commission Interaction Query

Michael Mccaffery mpmccaffery at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 14:55:22 EDT 2013

Hello

In preparation for a study session next Tuesday, I want to give a
comprehensive report to council on library board powers and how they
interact with the city council and administration.

Although PA164 and MCL 397.211/212 has some details and I have done some
other reading and questioning I am trying to provide a better picture for
council as to some of the finer points of board interaction and how they
can vary and why.

Some questions that will come up:

1) Is your budget approved by city council and the board/commission or just
the board?
2) Is your millage levied by the board/commission on its own or does it
require a motion of council to levy each year?
3) Is your board/commission appointed or elected?
4) Does city council have a seat on the board/commission?
5) How many members are on the board/commission?
6) Does the board/commision or city administration choose the director?

If you have a copy of your board's bylaws that would also be helpful.

Thanks for your time and attention.

MPM

--
Michael Mccaffery