[Michlib-l] Employee Cell phone use

Janelle Martin jmartin at lib.lapeer.org
Wed Jul 3 09:47:13 EDT 2013

I do use my personal cell phone for work. For example, I use my cell phone
to make sure that our wireless service is working correctly when helping
troubleshoot patron computer problems and to show patrons how to use the
e-book app for android. I even have used it to place holds/look up books
for patrons when the internet and/or the computers were down. I have taken
pictures at programs and events where I forgot the library camera or its
batteries went dead. So while I agree that limiting the use of cell phones
for personal use while working is a good idea, I would not forbid them
altogether. This is just my opinion. I hope this helps.
Janelle

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 6:54 PM, Kelli Perkins <kperkins at herrickdl.org>wrote:

>  Speaking as a reference librarian, I carry my Samsung Galaxy Note II
> phablet with me while working the desk and even made a sling for it, since
> I don't have pockets. I use it to show patrons how to access ebooks and
> apps for library databases, as well as to take notes, exchange information
> with patrons, snap photos for our library twitter account and etc. Today's
> "phones" do so much more and I consider mine to be one of the best tools I
> have at my disposal. Our library does a lot of social media, so all of our
> librarians are facebook, twitter, chat and blog active while on desk. It's
> just part of who we are as professionals. I have our library chat function
> enabled on my phone as well, so I frequently check my work email and make
> myself available to staff via chat even when away from my own desk.
>
>         Kelli Perkins
> Head of Reference Services
> Herrick District Library
> 300 S River Ave, Holland MI 49423
> 616.355.3718
> kperkins at herrickdl.org
>
>   *Reading: **"Gun Guys: a Road Trip" by Dan Baum*
> *Listening: "The Dead Lie Down" by Sophie Hannah*

Janelle C. Martin
Fiction Department Head
Lapeer District Library
Marguerite deAngeli Branch
810-664-6971 ext 3218
jmartin at lib.lapeer.org

"A house without books is like a room without windows."
-- Horace Mann <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/279932.Horace_Mann>