[Michlib-l] Employee Cell phone use

Nancy Studebaker director at nileslibrary.net
Tue Jul 2 16:07:56 EDT 2013

Stephanie, We don't have a policy. I will say that we have many mothers
with children from infant to teen who rely on their cell phone to stay in
touch. They are much *less* distracted by picking up phone and reading 'at
friends house' than they would be if they were worried about their child.
We have had employees who would have probably had to resign if it weren't
for the easy access they had with sick loved ones at home thanks to
frequent calls and texts.

And it cuts both ways. Those same people who use valuable 'on clock' time
checking texts from family also check emails and texts at home- and reply-
even though they are off clock.

Home these thoughts help you craft a sensible policy. It won't be easy!

NS

--
Nancy Studebaker, Director
Niles District Library