[Mcls-print-storage] MI-SPI 2.0 Update-Fall 2019

Stephanie Davis daviss at mcls.org
Thu Oct 10 15:45:38 EDT 2019

Greetings! There has been a lot of behind-the-scenes activity with MI-SPI 2.0 over the past couple of months. At this point, OCLC has received questionnaires and data from almost all libraries. Thanks to everyone for your careful efforts in completing these important steps. If you are still wrapping up, please reach out to me or the OCLC folks with any questions. Once all the data is on-hand, we'll be ready for the next step in the process, which is OCLC working with the data.

In anticipation of that next step, I am sharing notes from the late summer/early fall meetings of the Steering Committee, the Collection Data & Analysis Task Force and the Resource Sharing & Metadata Task Force. Take a few moments to review these documents. Most of the information is self-explanatory, but I did want to officially share that Barbara Cockrell, Western Michigan University, has agreed to serve as the Chair of the Steering Committee. Another meeting of the Steering Committee is in the planning stages. At this meeting, information from the Task Force meetings will be discussed and used to make decisions about comparator groups, special category designations, the possible transferring of previous retention commitments and the problem of missing and damaged items. Cynthia DuSCane from OCLC will be at this meeting to provide GreenGlass input on these topics. I'm attaching the current MI-SPI 2.0 timeline. This may change over the next few months, but, in general, we are still on track. The Governing Board met on Sept. 26 and is in the process of selecting a Governing Board Chair. When the chair in in place, I'll send out an announcement along with notes from the Governing Board Meeting.

While we've all been plodding along with data and downloads, there have been a few exciting developments related to MI-SPI 2.0 and Shared Print. First, Spring Arbor University is joining the group. Robbie Bolton, Library Director at SAU, and his team, did some work with GreenGlass previously and have decided to join the shared print effort. Welcome SAU! Second, MCLS has committed to join the Partnership for Shared Book Collections<https://eastlibraries.org/partnership-shared-book-collections>. You may be familiar with this national federation of shared print programs who have been meeting informally since 2018. This group aims to provide support and help in the coordination and development of shared print programs. In January 2020, the Partnership will move from a loosely organized group to a more formal organization. Visit their website, linked above, for more information.

As always, thanks for your work and participation in MI-SPI 2.0.

Sincerely,

Stephanie D. Davis, M.S./M.B.A.
Manager
Group Purchasing
Midwest Collaborative for Library Services (MCLS)
(800) 530-9019 ext 154
daviss at mcls.org<mailto:daviss at mcls.org>

[cid:image001.png at 01D57F72.468C5960]<https://www.facebook.com/mcls.org>     [cid:image002.png at 01D57F72.468C5960] <https://twitter.com/mclsorg>       [cid:image003.png at 01D57F72.468C5960] <http://www.mcls.org/>