[Mcls-print-storage] MI-SPI 2.0 Kick-Off Meeting: Follow-Up Information

Stephanie Davis daviss at mcls.org
Tue Jul 2 11:34:33 EDT 2019

Greetings! Thanks to all who attended yesterday’s kick-off. I appreciate that each institution in MI-SPI 2.0 was represented at the meeting. It was really helpful to hear from each school and gain a better understanding of your goals and objectives for the project. Cynthia & Andy did an excellent job laying the ground work for the project and we are now ready to transition toward the process of completing the cataloging questionnaire and moving toward the eventual data extraction.

Attached is the PowerPoint presented by Cynthia and Andy. Below is a  link to the meeting recording…sorry you have to look at my face so much 😊
Please note the recording will be available through July 22. MI-SPI 2.0 OCLC Kick Off,  Meeting Recording: https://zoom.us/recording/share/2rDVUV6idilt0RnzfjL_5FTsOgappHfnc5JafLgXK6awIumekTziMw

As we move forward through the summer months, here are items to note:

  *   Timeline. While some libraries are ready and available to complete their Cataloging and Data Questionnaire now, others expressed a need for additional time. As a result, I am recommending we extend the period for completing the questionnaire and supplying OCLC with data until the end-of-September. I will work with OCLC to create a revised project timeline.
  *   Group Decisions. As a group we need to decide the following….
     *   Project Goals (I supplied high level goals yesterday, but group consensus is needed on these and other goals mentioned. For example, Oakland expressed a desire to examine group collection development options.
     *   Comparator Groups. Previously, ALI (Academic Libraries of Indiana), the University of Michigan and Michigan State University served as MI-SPI comparators. With MSU now a part of MI-SPI 2.0, the group needs to add a comparator or stick with the two mentioned. OCLC also noted all known SCS retentions could serve as a comparator. This might be a good option considering the movements nationally related to Shared Print (PAN & the Partnership for Shared Book Collections).
     *   Special Categories. We also need to give some consideration to the idea of special categories.  Andy shared these are “title-level flags that identify titles of local interest and in a group context titles that should receive special attention in retention decision making.” Examples include titles of local/regional interest and ephemera. Do we want any reflected in the retention records?
  *   Governing Bodies. It is now time to get these groups in motion as input is needed to make the decisions noted above. I’ll be setting up a Governing Board Meeting as well as a Steering Committee Meeting soon and I’ll also be reaching out to the Task Forces members to discuss next steps for those groups.
  *   Data & Cataloging Questionnaire. Cynthia will be sending out the questionnaire via this listserv. I will be sharing with her the list of representatives for each institution. Direct your specific questions about the questionnaire to Cynthia. I would also encourage libraries to set-up a one-on-one appointment with Cynthia and her team. When submitting your completed questionnaire, please include me on the email so I can stay in the loop on group progress.
  *   National Shared Print Groups. Over the next few weeks, I’ll be reviewing notes from ALA meetings and sharing information with you via email regarding what is happening nationally and how MI-SPI 2.0 is involved and can be involved.

If you have any ideas or suggestions regarding the points above, please share those with me. I am here to facilitate and guide in support of your needs so please don’t hesitate to reach out!

Happy Fourth!

Stephanie D. Davis, M.S./M.B.A.
Manager
Group Purchasing
Midwest Collaborative for Library Services (MCLS)
(800) 530-9019 ext 154
daviss at mcls.org<mailto:daviss at mcls.org>

[id:image001.png at 01D31B4A.897DA8C0]<https://www.facebook.com/mcls.org>     [id:image002.png at 01D31B4A.897DA8C0] <https://twitter.com/mclsorg>       [id:image003.png at 01D31B4A.897DA8C0] <http://www.mcls.org/>