[Mcls-print-storage] MI-SPI Next Step

Grudzien, Pamela A. grudz1pa at cmich.edu
Wed Nov 21 11:14:31 EST 2018

Good morning, Everyone,

Many thanks for sending in the MI-SPI Notification of Interest letters.  There are 20 institutions interested in MI-SPI membership!

>From the small/private colleges:  Baker College, Calvin College, Hope College, Kalamazoo College, Kettering University, Lawrence Tech, Marygrove, University of Detroit-Mercy

>From the public universities:  Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Ferris State, Grand Valley State, Michigan State, Michigan Tech, Northern Michigan, Oakland, Saginaw Valley State,  UM-Dearborn, Wayne State, Western Michigan

As the Notification Letter stated, the next step is to gather an estimated count of your circulating monograph bibliographic records-due by Friday, 7 December.  These numbers are for OCLC to use to calculate the cost of the analysis.  SCS/OCLC is looking for an estimate of in-scope bib records that will be included in each institution's contribution to our collective collection.  "In-scope" for MI-SPI means circulating print monographs.

Bib records for the following material should NOT be counted/included:

  *   Serials
  *   Special Collections that do not circulate
  *   Government Documents (except those classed in LC or DDC and circulated as monographs)
  *   Reference Books
  *   E-Books
  *   Micro-formats/Fiche
  *   Audio-Visual/Media
  *   Lost/Withdrawn Items
  *   Theses/Dissertations
  *   Music Scores
  *   Maps
  *   Juvenile Literature
Those institutions that have titles with MI-SPI retention assignments should include those records in the estimated count.   Monographic series should be included if they are cataloged as monographs, but not if they are cataloged as serials.

Remember, SCS/OCLC is looking for estimated counts here, so please don't try to produce exact numbers.

Please send your estimated counts to me.  If you have any questions, please contact me.

Again,  thank you for your interest in MI-SPI.

Wishing you all a good Thanksgiving holiday,
Pamela

Pamela Grudzien
MI-SPI Consultant/Project Coordinator