[Mcls-print-storage] MI-SPI Update

Grudzien, Pamela A. grudz1pa at cmich.edu
Mon Nov 17 12:10:19 EST 2014

Hello to all current and future MI-SPI members on this snowy November morning,

This is an update to bring us all onto the same page about the status of our project.

Late in July, Rick Lugg from Sustainable Collection Services (SCS) sent to MCLS a preliminary proposal covering these actions:

*        addition of 5 members' collection data to our existing shared print collection project

*        analysis of this expanded data

*        provision of retention and withdrawal lists

*        access to SCS's GreenGlass data support software for continuing collection assessment

*        estimated costs for the 12 participating libraries

The proposal was shared with the MI-SPI Steering Committee (Julie Garrison GVSU, Pamela Grudzien CMU, Mike Hawthorne WSU, Thom Zantow SVSU) and the group discussed it via a conference call several weeks ago.  During the conversation we acknowledged that, as time passes, different priorities for some of the original participants are emerging while some new participants have the urgent space concerns that brought the original group together.  We also discussed the need to identify next steps to enhance and advance the collaborative efforts of the group. The Steering Committee will have a face-to- face meeting next week to draft several options/ideas for moving forward.

The SCS preliminary proposal and the draft alternatives for next steps will be shared with all participants early in December. A discussion meeting for the entire MI-SPI group (current and future members) is in the planning stages for mid-January 2015. More information about that will follow.

If you have suggestions/questions about any of this, please contact Randy Dykhuis DykhuisR at mcls.org<mailto:DykhuisR at mcls.org>  or Pamela Grudzien grudz1pa at cmich.edu<mailto:grudz1pa at cmich.edu> .

Thanks everyone,
Pamela

Pamela Grudzien
Director of Acquisitions, Metadata & Resource Sharing Services
Central Michigan University
310A  Park Library                            Voice:  989-774-6422
250 East Preston Street                     Email:
Mount Pleasant, MI  48859              Grudz1pa at cmich.edu<mailto:Grudz1pa at cmich.edu>