[Mcls-print-storage] Report on MI SPI and SCS Meeting at ALA

Barbara J Cockrell barbara.cockrell at wmich.edu
Mon Mar 3 17:08:00 EST 2014

Hi Ellen & Bob,
I've tried to pen a response to the list a couple of times but it sounds churlish at best so I am soliciting your input. I am concerned that the steering committee may not represent the full range of opinions as they consider these options in light of the meeting with SCS .
At the last meeting I reminded the group that we had written into the MOU that libraries were not obliged to refresh. I also said that WMU would prefer not to refresh in 2014/15. Mostly we are too busy with ILS selection issues and serial withdrawals but we also have a lot of also have a lot of potential monograph withdrawals from the previous lists and don't have extra money or time to spend on generating more. However, we are still committed to keep the retention titles that were on our list for the full 15 years.

Are we likely to be the only library who doesn't want to refresh at this time? What is your situation?

One of the reasons I elected not to be on the steering committee is that committing time to the MI- SPI project is not a high priority for us currently. However, I am concerned about getting pinned into a corner here by others with different priorities.

I'm contacting you as fellow writers of the MOU and to gauge whether I am out of line here.
Thanks for any thoughts,
Barbara