[Mcls-print-storage] MI-SPI Interactive Database now available

Cheryl Burley BurleyC at mcls.org
Tue Jun 18 16:10:06 EDT 2013

To the Mi-SPI group,

The interactive version of the MI-SPI Database is now available for your
review and use. This version will allow you to query the MI-SPI Database
(SCS Data) by title or author (keyword or phrase) as well as OCLC number.
There is functionality to add Notes about an item or bib/title holding for
your library. And there is also the ability to transfer Retention from
your library to another library. The interface is ajax-based, and
currently has two screens - a 'Main Page Results' with all the SCS data
and allocation data; and a second 'Actions and Notes' page allowing you to
input notes about an Item or Bib/Title Holding.  Instructions are included
on each page. I recommend that you read the 'Definitions and Suggested
Use' at the bottom of the Main Page; this is information from Andy
Breeding about terminology and best use of the database.

As you use this database, please note that you will be inserting and
editing live data. Adding Notes will not change the SCS data in any way.
But if you change a Bib Allocation, this will update the SCS data and
Allocation responsibilities will be reassigned to another library. That
will generate an email to the MI-SPI list with the change; but it is
presumed that you had previously discussed the change with the receiving
library.

As before, you will need to be logged into the MCLS Portal to access this
database. The link is on the MI-SPI page (
https://members.mcls.org/cms/sitem.cfm/library_tools/mi-spi/), but here is
the direct link:
https://members.mcls.org/~webmaint/mi-spi-cfgrid.cfm

(Currently, anyone logged into the MCLS Portal can access this
application. If that should be restricted to a specific group of people
(perhaps one or more at each participating library?), we can accommodate
that. Options for this can be discussed at a future group meeting.)

I would be happy to answer questions and receive feedback about the
terminology or labels used, the sequence of columns used, functionality
that is missing or incorrect, errors encountered, something that isn't
clear, etc.

Thanks to all of you for your ideas, and particularly to Bob Kelly, Pamela
Grudzien, and Andy Breeding for their direct input and suggestions, and to
Mark Szidik for his help while this was being developed. I hope you will
find this useful; please keep me posted on your progress with it!

Cheryl

Cheryl J. Burley, Systems Analyst
Midwest Collaborative for Library Services (MCLS)
1407 Rensen St., Suite 1,  Lansing, MI 48910-3657
Phone: 800-530-9019 ext 144
Phone: 517-492-3844
Fax: 517-492-3890
burleyc at mcls.org