[Mcls-print-storage] SCS Data Error

Ellen Seidel eseidel at mtu.edu
Thu Jan 19 13:31:39 EST 2012

Reading Rick's message and Randy's messages together, it sounds like we can reach a point that keeps us at or near the 743k withdraw mark while retaining a viable safety-net collection. I agree a phone conservation would help me think through the implications more clearly.

Re:Randy's example #2 with titles 4 and 5, the difference between 3 circs and 5 circs over 11 years doesn't strike me as significant as the difference between 3 circs and 11 circs (my library accounting for half-or-more of the total). I suggest that is why we need the highest number of potential withdraws possible, so local second-guessing can occur if desired. One data limitation we knowingly are working around is the difference between total circs on an item, and a history of those circs. To me, in the example above, 1 circ per year for 11 years is different from 11 circs in one year and never again.

Tom's additional thoughts point toward issues that might be addressed via the allotment algorithm. Is it possible to allocate the pick-lists by assigning titles first to libraries with no circs on the title? Eventually, we may all end up responsible for some unwanted titles, but I think that is shared (pain) part of the project.

Ellen Seidel
Head, Collection Management and Technical Services
J. R. Van Pelt Library and John and Ruanne Opie Library
Michigan Technological University
906-487-3064
eseidel at mtu.edu