[Mcls-print-storage] Allocation numbers

Rick Lugg rick at r2consulting.org
Mon Feb 20 17:05:32 EST 2012

Hello, list denizens –

We at SCS spent some time today discussing our approach to the blended model, so we can be ready to proceed if the group decides to move in that direction, using the ranges suggested in Randy’s message. We’ll be experimenting with it over the next day or two as your deliberations continue. Our approach will be along these lines:

1.       Identify all allocable candidates with zero charges, and assign them according to the proportional goals outlined in Randy’s message.

2.       Next identify all allocable candidates with 1 charge, and allocate those according to proportional goals.

3.       If this does not achieve what we need, make further adjustments, which may include some instances where a 1 charge candidate at a particular institution is favored over a 0-charge candidate at another.

We understand that it may take more time to decide about allocation. In the meantime, it would help us to have a decision on *what* we will be allocating. Those who have spoken to date seem more comfortable with a circulation threshold of <4 (Scenario 3a) rather than <5 or <6 (Scenarios 3b and 3c).

Scenario 3a yields 534,067 allocable candidates. It includes any title-holding that has circulated 3 or fewer times. It is the basis of the most recent set of numbers sent by Randy (below). Does anyone object to this – i.e., prefer a higher circulating threshold?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick Lugg

Sustainable Collection Services LLC